Since 2005, AFN has served as a catalyst for economic opportunity by bringing grantmakers together to learn, connect and reshape the discourse about what is possible. AFN is:
- A membership organization of national, regional and community-based foundations and grantmakers strategic about using philanthropy to promote economic opportunity and financial security for low and moderate income Americans.
- A focused resource both for seasoned grantmakers and those new to the field to learn about promising practices and the latest key issues, collaborations and emerging innovations.
- A responsive partner that addresses the current and emerging interests of its members as well as relevant issues from the field.
- A neutral forum exclusively for grantmakers interested in leveraging philanthropy to promote economic opportunity and financial security for low and moderate income populations.
- A national and regional network helping to develop the knowledge that results in nimble and effective strategies that can be replicated and scaled.
MEMBERSHIP: Connect, Educate and Empower. Join the Conversation.
Networking and education allow us to reinforce and expand our field. Innovative and promising approaches are shared by members promoting both scale and effectiveness while also increasing financial security opportunities for individuals and working families. The power of combined grantmaking efforts of AFN members – from education and housing, to financial and integrated services, to job creation and workforce development – reminds us that together we are more powerful than poverty.
Through membership, innovative and promising approaches are shared, promoting both scale and effectiveness while also increasing financial security opportunities for individuals and working families.
- BROADEN YOUR KNOWLEDGE: AFN provides a central resource to stay on top of what is happening in the field. Learn about promising strategies, ideas to advance best practices, and the latest key issues, collaborations and emerging innovations through webinars, briefs, convenings and online newsletters.
- ATTEND PEER CONVENINGS: Funders attending our meetings share their intellectual capital to engage in discussion in a neutral forum. Allowing candid conversations among peers with similar and opposing views, these discussions raise the visibility of and funding for activities that expand access to financial opportunities and strengthen communities.
- EXPAND YOUR PROFESSIONAL NETWORK: AFN regional and national convenings attract funders across philanthropic sectors and regions. Because philanthropic strategies advancing and sustaining greater economic security and upward mobility increase impact, funders from a variety of disciplines, including those focused on immigration, health, early childhood education, workforce/economic development or higher education, engage in AFN ’s programs.
- CONNECT TO A NATIONAL NETWORK: Philanthropic investments, when connected through a framework of asset building, bring greater impact and are more sustainable. Whether virtually or in-person, AFN offers ways to connect Members from across the country to a national network. The power of combined grantmaking efforts of AFN members remind us that together we are more powerful than poverty.
AFN and our members work on range of issues across the asset building continuum. Taken together, these strategies are reversing gender and racial and ethnic wealth gaps and revitalizing the promise of opportunity and financial security for all Americans. Our focus includes but is not limited to:
- COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
- MICROENTERPRISE/SMALL BUSINESS
- SAVINGS STRATEGIES
- FINANCIAL CAPABILITY
- WORKFORCE & JOB CREATION
- POLICY REFORM
- HEALTH & PUBLIC HEALTH
Evidence shows that when investments are connected through a framework of asset building and designed to address poverty, promote equity or increase future opportunities, or designated to improve education, health care or job skills, the impacts are stronger and more sustainable.
Eligibility - AFN welcomes national, regional and community-based foundations, corporate giving programs, philanthropic advisors and public funding agencies as members.
From veteran practitioners to newcomers with fresh ideas, working together we can make change, increasing opportunity and financial security at a scale that we could never achieve alone. Join us!