Our July 2014 newsletter includes:
- The AFN brief and webinar Financial Coaching as an Asset Building
- Strategy provides recommendations for funders interested in future investments in financial coaching.
- A report which provides an overview on all recent Children’s Savings Accounts (CSAs) research, practice and policy design from the New American Foundation.
- A paper entitled Redeeming the American Dream: Children’s Savings Accounts (CSAs) Build Children’s Capacity for Economic Mobility from CFED on CSAs places them in the broader context of the historical political economy of the American Dream.
- And of course a letter from Joe Antolin, AFN Executive Director.
FROM THE DIRECTOR
I am thrilled to introduce you to the Asset Funders Network (AFN) – the only community of
grantmakers focused exclusively on philanthropic strategies that foster financial stability and
I am enclosing the AFN newsletter, delivering right to your mailbox the latest industry research
and advocacy, resources and tools for strategically investing in and supporting sustained,
impactful asset building and financial capability strategies. We offer this newsletter as a free
value to any funder and hope you benefit from the information presented here in your grant giving.
AFN delivers much more than just news to its members. Being a funder means always staying ahead of the game – focusing on the future, taking risks, introducing new solutions, scaling best practices, demonstrating impact and improving lives in our communities. To support these critical changes, leadership, and community impact efforts, AFN works specifically to increase the capacity of funders. Through our membership, supported webinars, briefs, and roundtable discussions, AFN helps funders effectively see what’s around the corner, how similar problems are being successfully addressed to promote economic opportunity and financial security amongst low and moderate income individuals.
To help funders better understand the evidence for integrating asset building strategies into
grantmaking, AFN delivers Strategic Philanthropy: Creating Opportunity, Building Wealth,
and Driving Community Change. Whether new to the asset building conversation or a proven
pioneer, I believe you will find this paper offers you compelling insight about the increased
importance and relevance of connecting asset building to existing grant making strategies.
Whether your institution’s investments are focused on opportunities to improve early childhood
development, education, health, employment, environmental or youth outcomes, when connected to and grounded by asset building strategies, the impacts are stronger and more sustainable.
I hope after reading each future issue you come away with a greater sense of the asset building
scope and are inspired to actively engage within AFN regional and national circles. Enjoy the
materials, let us know what you think, and if you can let us know the issue areas related to asset
building that interest you most. Enjoy.
Joseph A. Antolín
Asset Funders Network