2015 AFN Grantmaker Conference
AFN’s Biennial Grantmaker Conference took place in Dallas, TX April 7-9, 2015. The conference brought together a diverse group of more than 100 national, regional and community-based funders and thought leaders concerned about a common goal – providing individuals, families and communities with greater economic security and opportunities for growth.
The conference theme, Integrating Across Sectors, anchored discussions throughout the two and a half days as funders explored topics such as the Financial Health of American Consumers, The Health/Wealth Connection and Two Generation Strategies. Keynote speaker Dan Ariely, Professor of Psychology & Behavioral Economics at Duke University shared perspectives about how behavioral economics can inform strategies across a variety of sectors to build financial security and encourage savings for low and moderate income families. Attendees also heard from Alan Jenkins, Executive Director of the Opportunity Agenda who shared his thinking about how the field of philanthropy can harness the current dialog about wealth inequality to advance meaningful action.
The pre-conference session provided participants with a site visit at a local nonprofit and took a case-study approach to the collaborative efforts of funders of the North Texas Asset Funders Network to help participants understand the process for effectively integrating an asset building frame from both the funder and nonprofit point of view. You can also check out all of the exciting conference highlights that were captured on Twitter by clicking here.
More information about the conference including the full program, speaker biographies, and available resource materials is available below.
AFN's Grantmaker conference was made possible through the generous support of presenting sponsor the Citi Foundation, AFN's conference supporters, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
CONFERENCE AGENDA AND SPEAKERS
Click here to view or download the 2015 Grantmaker Conference Program and Speaker Biographies.
The contact list of attendees is available to AFN members, please contact us.
Please click here to view the conference photographs.
Links to conference presentations and additional resources provided by conference speakers (if provided).
Pre-Conference: Tuesday, April 7
- City Square Case Study
- North Texas Asset Funders Network - Beginnings
- Tarrant County United Way Financial Stability Map
General Conference Day 1, April 8, 2015
New Insights into the Financial Health of Americans
- Jeanne Hogarth, Center for Financial Services Innovation - slideshow presentation
- Ray Boshara, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis - slideshow presentation
- Center for Financial Services Innovation - Understanding and Improving Consumer Financial Health in America
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis - Escaping America's Wealth Gap (Washington Post)
Dan Ariely: Insights into Behavioral Economics
The Value of Microenterprise in a Changing Economy
- Joyce Klein, FIELD at the Aspen Institute - slideshow presentation
- Sam's Club Report - The State of Microbusiness
Two-Generation Strategies: Moving Women and Children Beyond Poverty
- Ascend - Fellows Brochure
- Ascend - Top 10 for 2Gen
- Ascend - Voices for 2Gen Success - Opportunities for Policy Change - Findings and Messaging Tips from a National Survey
- Ascend - Network Brochure
- Ascend - 2Gen Continuum
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation - Overstressed Kids
Investing in Credit Unions and CDFIs to Expand Financial Access
- National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions - From Distrust to Inclusion: Insights into the Financial Lives of Very Low Income Consumers - Excerpt
- National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions - From Distrust to Inclusion: Insights into the Financial Lives of Very Low Income Consumers - Full Study
- Filene Research Institute report: Choosing Relevance: How Credit Unions Can Harness Transparency and Show Impact
Children’s Savings Accounts: Building Pathways to Success
- CFED: 2015 Scorecard
- CFED: From Aspirations to Achievement - Growing the Children's Savings Movement
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis - Meeting People Where They Are
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis - The Demographics of Wealth: How Age, Education and Race Separate Thrivers from Strugglers in Today's Economy
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis - Unofficial Fed Economic Mobility Conference (April 2-3, 2015) Top 10 Takeaways
Leveraging the Dialog to Advance Economic Security: Lessons for Philanthropy
- Alan Jenkins, The Opportunity Agenda - slideshow presentation
- The Opportunity Agenda - Toolkit
- The Opportunity Agenda - A Window of Opportunity
- The Opportunity Agenda - Opportunity Survey Report
General Conference Day 2, April 9, 2015
Grantmaker Breakfast and Issue-Based Discussion -
Developing Common Outcome Measures for Financial Coaching
Hosted by Regina Salliey, The Annie E. Casey Foundation and Michael Collins, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- The Financial Capability Scale Questions and Guide to Using the Scale
- Financial Coaching and the Financial Capability Scale: Moving to Implementation - A Discussion Draft
The Health/Wealth Connection
- Jason Purnell, Washington University in St. Louis - slideshow presentation
- East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation - Strategic Plan
- The California Wellness Foundation - Advancing Wellness
Philanthropic Partnerships with Local Governments
- City of Miami - ACCESS Miami Financial Empowerment Center Coaching Brochure
- City of Miami - ACCESS Miami Tax Time Made Easy Brochure
- City of Miami - ACCESS Miami Executive Summary, Financial Empowerment
- City of Miami - ACCESS Miami Summer Youth Incentive Flyer
- Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund - Supervitamin for Public Programs Report - Municipal Financial Empowerment
Scaling the Integration of Financial Capability and Asset Building into the Delivery of Social Services
- The Financial Clinic- Financial Security Ecosystem
- CFED - Select and Collect Indicator Data
- CFED - Identify and Prioritize Your Outcomes
- CFED - Building Financial Capability - Planning Guide for Integration
- CFED - Build Your Logic Model
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - Your Money, Your Goals: A financial empowerment toolkit for social services programs
Millennials: On-Ramping into Financial Security
- Generation Progress - Millennials and the Economy
Building Wealth and Credit in Immigrant and Refugee Communities
- Viola Gonzales, AnewAmerica Community Corporation - slideshow presentation