1. WHO IS AFN? WHAT IS ITS PURPOSE?
Asset Funders Network provides a neutral forum for those using philanthropy to alleviate poverty. By sharing ideas and best practices foundations and grantmaking organizations leverage their resources to become more effective, allowing each dollar invested to have greater impact.
Networking and education allow us to reinforce and expand our field. By sharing innovative programs and strategies we can take them to scale in both the private and public sectors, providing greater financial security for individuals and working families. The power of the combined grantmaking efforts of AFN members — from education and housing to financial services and workforce development — remind us that together, we are more powerful than poverty.
2. WHAT SERVICES AND RESOURCES DOES AFN OFFER?
Networking and education allow us to reinforce and expand our field. Innovative and promising approaches are shared by members promoting both scale and effectiveness while also increasing financial security opportunities for individuals and working families. The power of combined grantmaking efforts of AFN members – from education and housing, to financial and integrated services, to job creation and workforce development – reminds us that together we are more powerful than poverty.
Through membership, innovative and promising approaches are shared, promoting both scale and effectiveness while also increasing financial security opportunities for individuals and working families.
- BROADEN YOUR KNOWLEDGE: AFN provides a central resource to stay on top of what is happening in the field. Learn about promising strategies, ideas to advance best practices, and the latest key issues, collaborations and emerging innovations through webinars, briefs, convenings and online newsletters.
- ATTEND PEER CONVENINGS: Funders attending our meetings share their intellectual capital to engage in discussion in a neutral forum. Allowing candid conversations among peers with similar and opposing views, these discussions raise the visibility of and funding for activities that expand access to financial opportunities and strengthen communities.
- EXPAND YOUR PROFESSIONAL NETWORK: AFN regional and national convenings attract funders across philanthropic sectors and regions. Because philanthropic strategies advancing and sustaining greater economic security and upward mobility increase impact, funders from a variety of disciplines, including those focused on immigration, health, early childhood education, workforce/economic development or higher education, engage in AFN ’s programs.
- CONNECT TO A NATIONAL NETWORK: Philanthropic investments, when connected through a framework of asset building, bring greater impact and are more sustainable. Whether virtually or in-person, AFN offers ways to connect Members from across the country to a national network. The power of combined grantmaking efforts of AFN members remind us that together we are more powerful than poverty.
3. WHO CAN JOIN AFN?
AFN welcomes private, public, family, community and corporate foundations as well as giving programs, United Ways, and public funding agencies. Click here to learn more!
4. HOW DO I BECOME A MEMBER OF AFN?
5. MY ORGANIZATION DOES NOT CURRENTLY FUND ASSET‐BUILDING WORK DIRECTLY, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN HOW TO CONNECT OUR WORK WITH AFN. HOW CAN AFN HELP ME TO MAKE THIS CONNECTION CLEAR TO MY ORGANIZATION?
Asset-building strategies can increase the impact of anyone working to alleviate poverty and create greater financial security. AFN welcomes the opportunity to connect the work of our members and the asset‐building field to your organization’s current funding areas. AFN staff are available for initial phone conversations to determine connection and next appropriate steps.
AFN is also available to speak to grantmaking organizations and their staff and trustees upon request, and we are happy to supply materials to help strengthen the connection between the asset‐building field and your organization’s work whenever possible.
6. I CAN’T BECOME A MEMBER NOW. HOW CAN I STAY CONNECTED?
The easiest way to stay in touch is to join our email list and receive our newsletter. We will keep you up to date on our webinars and chapter events, and offer an inside track to other activities in the asset-building community.
7. HOW DO I START A REGIONAL AFN CHAPTER/AFFILIATE IN MY CITY?
AFN is excited to support the development of regional chapters and affiliates in cities or regions with interested grantmakers. Please contact Julie Morris to discuss the possibility of creating a chapter or affiliate in your area.
8. HOW CAN I GET MORE INVOLVED WITH AFN?
Have you joined AFN as a member? Participated in the AFN webinar series or attended our biennial grantmakers meeting? These are great places to start! If you are already a member of AFN and want to be more involved, please contact us!
9. DOES AFN HAVE AN ANNUAL GRANTMAKERS MEETING?
AFN holds a biennial (once every two years) grantmakers meeting. Meetings are held throughout the country, and scheduled in the fall of the year. We invite you to review the 2015 Conference Archives. Our next Grantmaker Conference wil be held in Spring 2017 - look for more information in our Newsletter.
10. HOW DO I SUBMIT MATERIALS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE AFN NEWSLETTER AND/OR WEBSITE?
We love to hear from and promote AFN members, as well as the work of organizations relevant to our network of grantmakers focused on financial security for all. Please email materials to Julie Morris. Submissions will undergo a review process for consideration. When submitting information about events, please confirm whether the event is open to the public or for grantmakers only.
Please note: Depending on timing, some event information will be highlighted on our website but may not appear in our newsletter.